TotalView announced this week they’ll be previewing “reverse debugging” at SC07 next week
With this new capability, developers will be able to “back up” during a debugging session to help identify a bug as it is happening, improving the efficiency of debugging sessions by eliminating the need to run a program multiple times.
TotalView Technologies’ new reverse debugging features will allow developers to:
- Capture and replay the exact behavior of the program from any point in the past during a single debugging session;
- Step backward from crashes and out of functions to see what went wrong;
- Jump forward and backward to examine and compare any set of points along the captured execution sequence;
- Replay thread context switches exactly as they happened;
- Seamlessly and clearly switch between record mode and replay mode.