Computer Technology Review published its list of the top 5 trends it expects in HPC throughout 2009. Here is the (abbreviated) list
- HPC is becoming more mainstream.
- Green IT initiatives are getting real.
- Cloud computing/software as a service/infrastructure as a service are becoming concrete.
- Traditional data centers are losing favor.
- A new era in storage is dawning.
A reasonable enough list, but hey, everyone is a critic, and I would have added GPUs. It looks to me like the general accelerator rush is coming to an end with the demise of ClearSpeed and the reminder that FPGAs are still really hard to get performance out of. But GPUs look like they are going to run in 2009 — although how far the run beyond 2009 depends upon how well they fare when (or if) manycore processors finally come to market.
The storage part of that article — about content addressable storage — is worth a quick read.