The nice folks in the weather forecasting corners of HPC will be happy to learn that UCAR announced the official release of the Weather Research Forecast [WRF] code version 3.2. The release includes all components of the system: WPS, WRF, WRF-Chem, and WRFDA. Other auxiliary codes, RIP4, ARWpost, WPP and obsgrid have also been updated.
The official release email on the WRF-users mailing list quotes the following new features:
- New physics
- Milbrandt-Yau double-moment microphysics
- Building energy model for urban physics
- Vegetation-height dependent thermal roughness length
- Slope/shading effects extend to all shortwave radiation options
- Garratt enthalpy flux formulation and dissipative heating for hurricanes
- Nonlinear backscatter anisotropic sub-grid turbulent stress for LES
- Wildland fire module for ARW
- Vertical resolution refinement in ndown
For more info and a full list of all the new forecasting goodies, check out the link here.