Every fork in the code needs a place to call “home.” This week GridEngine.org was launched in an effort to to help bootstrap the open source “Grid Engine Community” in the post-Oracle era.
In general you can expect this site to be the public clearninghouse for information about open source grid engine and we hope to rebuild the vibrant mailing list community that was responsible for much of Grid Engine’s success in the past.
The folks on the GridEngine.org Steering Committee include:
- Bill Bryce, representing Univa
- Chris Dagdigian, representing BioTeam & gridengine.info
- Bill Deegan, representing Bad Dog Consulting
- Dave Love, representing the “Son of Grid Engine” fork
- Reuti & Rayson Ho, representing the “Open Grid Scheduler” fork
I think it’s great to see that there’s no animosity here as the Grid Engine code moves on from Oracle:
By the way — Oracle deserves praise for the transition. They could have just pulled the plug and walked away. Multiple Oracle employees worked hard to ensure that “the torch was passed” and that sunsource assets were available to be integrated into a new home etc. We’ll slowly be integrating them as we can.