In this slidecast, Pavel Shamis from ORNL and Gilad Shainer from Mellanox announce the UCX Unified Communication X Framework.
UCX is a collaboration between industry, laboratories, and academia to create an open-source production grade communication framework for data centric and HPC applications.
The UCX project is based on the following contributions:
- Mellanox co-designs network interface and contributed the MXM technology
- Infrastructure, UD, RC, DCT, shared memory, protocols, integration with OpenMPI/SHMEM, and MPICH
- ORNL co-designs network contributed the UCCS project
- IB optimizations, Cray devices, shared memory
- NVIDIA co-designs high-quality support for GPU devices
- GPU-Direct, GDR copy, etc.
- IBM co-designs network interface and contributed ideas and concepts from PAMI
- UH/UTK focus on integration with their research platforms
If all goes to plan, UCX will be integrated with major MPI distributions, OpenSHMEM, PGAS languages, etc.