Today DataDirect Networks announced the latest release of its advanced WOS object storage platform. WOS 360 2.0 includes a new, low-cost capacity node, increased efficiency and an OpenStack Swift API.
Keeping up with the growth in unstructured data may be the single biggest challenge facing the data center over the next five years. Object storage is gaining traction because it was designed specifically for unstructured data and can handle that data on a massive scale,” said George Crump, chief steward, Storage Switzerland. “DDN is solidifying a leadership position with its latest WOS platform features that not only advance performance, scalability and geo-distribution capabilities, but also expand connectivity options to allow more environments such as OpenStack Swift to leverage its potential.”
- New lower cost capacity tier for long-term archive, offering deep archive for up to 30 percent lower cost than the platform’s performance tier;
- 20 percent increased storage efficiency using the updated Global Object Assure (GOA) erasure coding;
- New industry-leading ultra-high density enclosure that stores nearly 800 terabytes in a 4U array for deep archive;
- Expanded connectivity option that adds OpenStack Swift support to an already robust interface offering of S3, CIFS, NFS, GPFS, Lustre and native REST;
- Robust end-to-end security of the management layer, data in-flight and node-to-node security within the WOS ecosystem; and
- An easy turnkey appliance deployment model, which makes the WOS object storage platform an ideal solution for service providers, resale through the channel and deployment as a private cloud offering.
With more than 1 billion new objects under WOS management added per week, DDN object storage adoption is increasing rapidly as users seek network-efficient solutions for data sharing, alternatives to tape for long term archive, and lower cost storage tiers within NAS environments. To address the long-term archive use case, DDN has added both a lower cost storage tier as well as the option to perform continuous background data integrity checks within WOS to ensure data integrity is maintained throughout the long lifecycle of archive requirements.
DDN’s WOS 360 2.0 enables secure public and private cloud deployments, and delivers efficient data protection options while reducing storage administration and cost. In addition to expanding use cases such as enterprise, cloud and file sync and share, it is ideal for data-intensive environments within media and entertainment, research, life sciences and education.