For the third year in a row GPU technologies have helped a team nab the top spot in the Asia Student Supercomputer Challenge, the world’s largest supercomputer competition. This year, 152 teams from around the world took part. Sixteen from around the globe made the cut to compete in the finals, which are held in Asia every year. Held recently in Taiyuan, China, ASC15 pitted the finalists against one another other on seven different application benchmarks. These included three popular scientific applications – NAMD, PALABOS and WRF-CHEM. Tsinghua University, aided by the flagship of our Tesla Accelerated Computing Platform, the Tesla K80 GPU accelerator, grabbed the highest overall score.
- Winner: Tsinghua University
- Second Place: National University of Defense Technology
- Highest LINPACK: Nanyang Technological University from Singapore: 11.92 Teraflops at under 3000 Watts
- e Prize Award: Sun Yat-sen University
- Application Innovation Awards: Tsinghua University, National University of Defense Technology, National Tsinghua University and Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Best Presentation: Taiyuan University of Technology
The ASC Student Supercomputer Challenge aims to promote the communication and cultivation of supercomputing talent in various regions and countries. Its goals also include advancing the application and developing ability of supercomputing, driving the scientific and technological force of supercomputers, and promoting scientific and industrial innovation.