Today the ISC Cloud & Big Data conference announced that their pre-conference program will center around eight engaging workshops. The event takes place Sept. 28-30 in Frankfurt, Germany.
Following the workshops, the organizers will offer two full days of sessions, panels and lots of discussions in the Industry, Business and Research tracks. The event will also host a small exhibition on Tuesday, September 29, and Wednesday, September 30.
- Using GPUs for Deep Learning – A Hands-On Introduction to Deep Learning for Accelerating Deep Learning on a GPU Cluster. This Monday morning workshop will describe how GPU-powered clusters are being used to accelerate training and development of Deep Learning systems. The focus will be on convolutional neural networks (CNN), with examples in imagery and signal processing. Different tools for developing CNNs will also be discussed. To wrap up the workshop, a hands-on lab will be conducted that will allow attendees to employ GPU acceleration for their own Deep Learning applications.
- Amazon Web Services Tutorial – Securing HPC in the Cloud. In this workshop, representatives from Amazon will describe the practical aspects of deploying HPC applications in the AWS Cloud. The talk will also outline how to use the account management, audit logging and encryption functions available on the platform. Attendees will come away with the knowledge of how they can quickly deploy an HPC cluster that makes use of all of the discussed practices.
- Working in a Fairytale Country – Towards Becoming a Data Scientist. This workshop will focus on the role of the data scientist, a relatively recent job category, but one that is at the heart of Big Data efforts. Attendees will learn about what a data scientist do and the skills needed to become one. The discussion will pay special attention to the role data scientists’ play in helping companies transform their business processes. The workshop will consist of talks, interactive discussions, and hands-on tutorials.
- HPC Cloud Solutions for Manufacturing. Competitiveness in manufacturing often hinges on a company’s ability to effectively purchase and harness HPC resources. This workshop will impart the knowledge and tools necessary to acquire those capabilities, with a special emphasis on small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The discussion will be joined by three European projects (CloudSME, Fortissimo and CloudFlow), who are working to support manufacturing SMEs when using HPC clouds. Case studies will be presented that illustrate the advantages that cloud-based HPC brings to the manufacturing sector.
- Amazon Web Services Tutorial – Large Scale Data Analytics with Amazon Web Services. In this workshop, AWS will explain how to most effectively derive value from your data. The talk will walk you through specific examples to illustrate best practices, with special consideration given to removing storage constraints, analyzing the data, deriving actionable intelligence, and sharing the results.
- Docker Containers for Scientific & Engineering Applications – A New Era of Packaging, Delivering & Accessing Complex Software. This workshop will provide an introduction to Docker containers, one of the most compelling new technologies being adopted in HPC cloud environments. The discussion will encompass how Docker impacts system operation and the underlying infrastructure. Also discussed will be how to use Docker for software development, testing and verification. A genomics workflow will provide an example of how to use the technology for a real-world application. Docker’s use in UberCloud will also be featured. The second half of the workshop will delve into how Docker operates in different cloud and data center software environments.