Today Super Micro announced the deployment of a new supercomputer in Japan at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) supporting scientists and researchers focused on discovery and innovation in the life, physical and environmental sciences.
I have been very impressed by the quality of the cluster we received through the collaboration of Supermicro, DDN and Mellanox,” said Tim Dyce, Chief Information Officer, Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University. “These resources place us well to support the world-leading research activities taking place here at OIST.”
Named “Sango,” the new supercomputer is a collaboration between Supermicro, DataDirect Networks, and Mellanox to integrate Supermicro 7U TwinBlade and 4U FatTwin compute nodes with lowest-latency and massive storage capacity. Sango, recently ranked #281 on the Top500, serves the OIST research community with 438 nodes consisting of Intel Xeon E5-2600 v3 processors combined with Intel Xeon Phi 7120P Coprocessors. The supercomputer also provides 3 Petabytes of high-performance DDN Storage integrated via low-latency 56Gb/s FDR InfiniBand.
Supermicro is pleased to support OIST environmental protection research with design and deployment services of our Green Computing solutions for their Sango Supercomputer,” said Tau Leng, Vice President/General Manager of HPC at Supermicro. “The HPC system integrates our latest TwinBlade and FatTwin SuperServer platforms with 56Gb/s FDR InfiniBand, 10G/40G Ethernet network switches and parallel file storage system for a complete end-to-end infrastructure solution. With our high-performance and high-efficiency systems, the Sango Supercomputer provides OIST a powerful and yet energy efficient tool to accelerate their research for many years to come.”
Sango Supercomputer Specifications
- 400x Computing nodes: Supermicro 7U SuperBlade 2-node, dual-processor TwinBlade (SBI-7228R-T2F) supporting Intel Xeon Processor E5-2680 v3 (12C, 2.5GHz)
- 20x Large Memory nodes: Supermicro 4U 8-node FatTwin (SYS-F618R2-RT+) supporting 512GB of DDR4 memory @2133MHz
- DDN Storage: 15 nodes (including 12 OSS nodes) 3PB
- 3x Intel Xeon Phi nodes: Supermicro 2U single node SuperServer (SYS-2028GR-TR) supporting 4x Intel Xeon Phi 7120P Coprocessors per node
- 3x future Accelerator nodes, plus additional Administration nodes
- Supermicro TwinBlade with onboard 56Gb/s FDR InfiniBand, SuperBlade 56Gb/s FDR InfiniBand modules (SBM-IBS-F3616M), 1U Top-of-Rack 10GbE (SSE-G48-TG4), 1GbE (SSE-G2252) and Mellanox 10/40/56GbE FDR InfiniBand (SX1024, SX6518) network switches
- Linpack Performance (Rmax) 252.7 TFlop/s
- Operating System: CentOS