“DDN is focused on solving data intensive challenges at large scale. As the trusted storage infrastructure provider of two-thirds of the largest computing sites around the globe, we understand the magnitude of the challenges our users encounter in getting the most out of the latest processor and network performance capabilities,” said Molly Rector, CMO, executive vice president product management and worldwide marketing, DDN. “While many storage vendors have discontinued investing in hardware innovation, DDN consistently executes upon a product strategy to break through bottlenecks in the data center. And while DDN has embraced the movement to deliver software technology on commodity hardware, we also recognize that commodity storage platforms simply cannot keep pace with rapidly increasing compute power, network bandwidth and the latest generation NVMe and SSD speeds.”
On November 10, 2015, DDN announced the new DDN SFA14K and SFA14KE high performance hybrid storage platforms. According to DDN, the new SFA14K and SFA14KE deliver the world’s fastest, densest storage with more than 6 million IOPS and 60GB/sec in 4U with scalability to nearly 7PB of capacity in a single rack.
DDN SFA14K and SFA14KE Storage Platforms
As the new flagship product in DDN’s most established product line, the DDN SFA14K provides customers with a simple route to take maximum advantage of a suite of new technologies including the latest processor technologies, NVMe SSD, PCIe 3, EDR InfiniBand and Omni-Path.
By integrating the latest high-performance technologies from silicon, to interconnect, memory and storage, the SFA14K changes the future of HPC architecture design. Building on DDN’s storage leadership, the SFA14K delivers groundbreaking latency reduction, IO acceleration and increases the power of the innovation that can be delivered from each rack of data center equipment. The SFA14K delivers many advantages including:
- World’s fastest hybrid storage and hyper-converged architectures: More than 6 million IOPS and 60GB/sec in 4U and up to 16x higher per rack performance than its closest competitor;
- Unprecedented high density storage: Nearly 7 PBs in a single rack, leveraging NVMe memory along with hybrid solid state and hard disk storage in a single system;
- Highest efficiency for mixed workloads: Accelerates small, large and mixed IO workloads in a unified solution that alternatively would require a dedicated SSD array for small files and a scale-out system for throughput from alternative vendors;
- Widest breadth of interconnect options: Options include InfiniBand, Omni-Path, Fibre Channel and Ethernet;
- Embedded PCIe fabric: 10x to 100x latency reduction when replacing non-integrated alternative options from application to memory to storage;
- Flexible, multi-dimensional scaling: Scales up or scales out to allow users to buy only what they need today to optimize performance, capacity or both;
- Management simplicity at scale: With utmost simplicity at scale, the solution’s hyper-convergence benefits reduce administration costs by 50 to 70 percent over integrating and managing each discrete technology individually.
With the 14K platform, DDN is departing from traditional high-performance storage approaches, fortifying its innovation leadership and transforming the speed, ease and efficiency by which Enterprise and HPC customers can solve their most complex data and analytics challenges,” added Rector. “Our unmatched architecture integrates and takes maximum advantage of the latest, most advanced component technologies to drive extreme efficiency for mixed workloads, provide the widest breadth of interconnect options and the flexibility to scale up or to scale out to allow for optimized performance, density or both.”
The SFA14K hybrid block storage and SFA14KE hyper-converged storage offerings are available and shipping today.