Southern Methodist University is seeking a Senior Linux System Administrator for High Performance Computing in our Job of the Week. The Admin will build, maintain, operate and manage HPC systems. The individual in this position will have shared support responsibility for university HPC as member of a two-person team.
The successful candidate will provide hardware, software and end-user support for rapidly expanding use of HPC clusters for faculty research.
Office of Information Technology provides infrastructure and technical support for HPC including this position. Governance of HPC services at SMU is the responsibility of the Director of the Center for Scientific Computation (CSC) reporting to the Dean of Graduate Studies and VP of Research.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree and six years of IT experience.
- A minimum of three years of full time Linux system administration experience in a large computing environment.
- Participating in a 24-hour, 7-day on-call support rotation and off-hours maintenance windows.
Preferred Experience and Expertise:
- Planning, deploying, administering HPC services and troubleshoot issues related to HPC services at SMU. Installing and maintaining cluster environments and provision systems using automated installation methods. Managing/maintaining Lustre parallel file system and NFS storage. Managing/maintaining InfiniBand high performance interconnect fabric. Configuring, managing and monitoring SLURM scheduling and queuing system.
- Project Planning, Customer communication and expectations management.
- Developing and maintaining programs and scripts that aid in the operation and automation of administrative tasks using various shell and scripting languages (bash, Perl, Python). Compiling, installing, and porting software in support of Faculty Research. Building and deploying open source software and software from vendors/partners in support of Faculty Research.
- Keeping current with HPC trends and best practices.