The WHOI Information Services Department is looking for a Senior Systems Administrator to join their team. This is a regular, full-time position, and is eligible for benefits. The Senior Systems Administrator works within the Information Services Department supporting WHOI’s Linux servers, data storage, and HPC clusters. The Senior Systems Administrator works as part of a team to design, implement, and support WHOI’s computing infrastructure, with an emphasis on High Performance Computing. This individual works closely with scientists and researchers who are leaders in their fields, advising and assisting them with their computing, storage, and HPC needs.
- Assist with the management of the institutions HPC clusters, including both hardware and software upgrades and the installation and configuration of scientific software such as MATLAB, NetCDF, QIIME, etc.
- Work with and provide support to scientific users and researchers who are using the HPC clusters. Recommend and implement changes to improve the performance and utilization of HPC clusters and servers.
- Install and configure servers with an advanced knowledge and understanding of Linux server configurations including networking (RHEL, CentOS, Debian/Ubuntu, or equivalent). Must have experience with shell scripting (Bash, CSH).
- Install and configure data storage with an advanced knowledge and understanding of XFS, ZFS, NFS, Samba; NetApp CDOT a plus.
- Keep current on new technologies as they relate to HPC and storage. Evaluate and recommend software and hardware.
Previous Education & Experience Desired:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent combination of skills/experience.
- 8+ years of experience required in technical support within a large, networked computing environment.
- 8+ years of experience with the support of high performance compute clusters.
- Experience with monitoring packages (Nagios, Ganglia), scheduling systems (PBS, SLURM, SGE), version control systems (SVN, GIT), and automation/configuration management packages (Chef, Puppet, Ansible)
- Should have experience in at least one interpreted language (Perl, Python, Ruby). Experience with MATLAB highly desirable.
- Experience with cloud computing (IAAS) including AWS is a plus.
- Must be willing and eager to quickly learn new technologies and applications, have experience with open-source software, data storage platforms and operating systems.
- Must demonstrate the ability to provide high levels of customer service, and the ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical users.
Physical duties required for this position include the ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus. This position is continuous sedentary in nature.
WHOI is a member of the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC). We are sensitive to the issues of dual career candidates and we will work with applicants to address them. Please visit HERC – for more information.WHOI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans/M/F. We encourage Veterans and those with Disabilities to apply.
Applications are reviewed confidentially. Applicants that require accommodation in the job application process are encouraged to contact us at (508) 289-2253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Looking for a new gig? Our Jobs Board helps companies of all sizes hire the best talent and offers the best opportunity for job seekers to get hired.
Are you paying too much for your job ads? Priced at just $99.99 dollars for 90 days, ads on our insideHPC Jobs board are a great way to reach the top supercomputing professionals.