At SC14, the Texas Advanced Computing Center announced that high performance computing veteran John West has been named director of Strategic Initiatives for The University of Texas at Austin.
Today the Jülich Supercomputing Centre announced that Dr. Bernd Mohr has been elected General Chair of the SC17 Supercomputing Conference. This is the first time that somebody outside the USA will chair the most important conference for high performance computing, which has been running for the last 26 years.
In this podcast, Rich, Dan, and Henry review the year in HPC. It was a wild ride, and here we highlight some of our best shows from the past twelve months and the technology milestones that made 2014 a banner year in high performance computing. And did I mention we have a few laughs along the way?
Over at the ISC Blog, Bernd Mohr writes that HPC programmers are still in demand thanks to the complexity of today’s hybrid supercomputers. So, in reality programming HPC systems is still very complex and if you manage to create a correctly working program, it does not automatically mean you get a very efficiently working program. Luckily, there are still some groups out there dedicated to helping these “poor” application developers. [Read More…]
In this podcast, the Radio Free HPC team looks at the Seven Myths of SSD vs. HDD Pricing, one of Henry’s recent features at Enterprise Storage Forum. It got picked up on Slashdot, and the comments are flying all over the industry. [Read More…]
- Job of the Week: Software Development Engineer at AWS
- Video: William Edsall of Dow on Why HPC Matters
- Call for Workshop Submissions: ISC High Performance 2015
- How HPC Cluster Manager Integrates Allinea Performance Reports
- Indian Research Labs Speed Code Development with Allinea
- Interview: Advancing Computational Chemistry with NWChem
- Tesla K80 GPU Sets New Records on STAC-A2 Financial Benchmark
- Managing Cluster Complexity
- Seagate Prepares 55 Petabyte File System for German Climatology Department
- Austrians Monitor Flood Waters with Visual Analysis System
- How Nirvana Software Provides Sophisticated Metadata Management
- KAUST to Acquire Cray XC40
- Bright Computing Powers Aircraft Design at University of Stuttgart