If you open the back of today’s HPC cluster you will see lots of cables. There are any number of cables including those for power, Ethernet, InfiniBand , Fibre Channel, KVM, and others. The current situation creates the need for complex configuration and administration.
In this video from SC14, Torben Kling-Petersen from Seagate describes an upcoming deployment of a 55 Petabyte Lustre file system in Hamburg, Germany. The ClusterStor deployment will be the most energy-efficient file system of its kind in the world upon installation.
“By presenting a single global namespace across any storage device, anywhere in the world, Nirvana allows data to be easily and securely shared among globally distributed teams. Nirvana also automatically moves data to various workflow resources, based on policies so data is always available at the right place, at the right time, and at the right cost ― while keeping an audit trail as data is ingested, transformed, accessed, and archived through its complete lifecycle.”
“For NVLink to have its highest value it must function properly with unified memory. That means that the Memory Management Units in the CPUs have to be aware of NVLink DMA operations and update appropriate VM structures. The operating system needs to know when memory pages have been altered via NVLink DMA – and this can’t be solely the responsibility of the drivers. Tool developers also need to know details so that MPI or other communications protocols can make use of the new interconnect.” [Read More…]
“I’ve been thinking for a while that our obsession with reduction of latency in computing and storage could be ameliorated by exploiting a negative latency design. A negative latency design would be one where a hypothetical message would arrive at a receiver before the sender completed sending it.” [Read More…]
- Tesla K80 GPU Sets New Records on STAC-A2 Financial Benchmark
- Austrians Monitor Flood Waters with Visual Analysis System
- KAUST to Acquire Cray XC40
- Bright Computing Powers Aircraft Design at University of Stuttgart
- A New Open Ethernet Switch Abstraction Interface from Mellanox
- How Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Tops the Agenda
- Video: Seagate Steps up to HPC
- Video: Convergence of Extreme Computing and Big Data
- Earthquake Prediction Using the Blue Waters Supercomputer
- A Livermore Perspective on Next-Generation Computing
- Job of the Week: HPC IO Engineer at Intel
- Video: Red Hat Tunes Up at SC14
- Time to Retire the Turing Test?