This is the 4th installment of a 6 article series on the trends and technologies impacting the application of HPC in Life Sciences. Here we explore how companies like SGI and Intel address computational and storage problems inherent in Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) applications.
We are sad to report that Bill Blake passed away on March 31 after suffering from a heart attack. While many of you will remember Bill from his work as CTO of Cray, Mr. Blake was most recently head of R&D at D-Wave Systems.
The Convey Computer site reports that the company has been acquired by Micron. This is not an April Fools, guys. There just may be a hybrid-core server with an Automata processor available soon from a vendor near you.
Industry PerspectivesFor about 40 years, developers and users could count on an increase in CPU performance that would make applications run faster. However, with the slowdown in constant clock rate increases being replaced by additional core counts and even more new instructions, rethinking algorithms, their use of the latest APIs, and using the latest compilers has become critical for the next generation of application performance enhancements. [Read More...]
In this episode, the Radio Free HPC team splits on the topic of Net Neutrality. The FCC will soon publish its new rules for ensuring an even playing field for Internet Bandwidth. "Dan doesn't like the idea one bit. Henry disagrees and thinks we need Net Neutrality to keep the Comcasts of the world from running amok. As for Rich, he just finds the whole argument rather amusing since it's pretty much a done deal." [Read More...]
- Registration Opens for ISC High Performance
- SiYB is a Supercomputer in your Browser
- April 1 Video: Si Tortoise Data Security Appliance
- Reproducibility of CAE-computations through Immutable Application Containers
- Job of the Week: Research Storage Lead at University of Michigan
- Video: The InfiniBand Subnet Manager from Fabriscale
- InsideHPC Guide to Genomics
- SGI to Boost Pangea Supercomputer to 6.7 Petaflops
- Europe Seeks Routes to Saving Energy in HPC
- Video: NVM Express Introduction and Tutorial
- Open Computing Drives Innovation and Efficiency
- OCF Builds CFD-ready Lenovo HPC Appliance
- X-ISS Makes Top 20 Most-Promising HPC Solution Providers