“Over at the Parallel for All Blog, Everett Phillips and Massimiliano Fatica write that GPUs offer good acceleration on the new HPCG benchmark that has been designed to augment Linpack as a measure of performance for the TOP500. Their GPU porting strategy focused on parallelizing the Symmetric Gauss-Seidel smoother (SYMGS), which accounts for approximately two thirds of the benchmark flops.”
In scale-out NAS, HPC storage performance can be driven by several factors including elimination of file processing bottlenecks, parallel data paths and more. Learn how to maintain storage performance as you scale.
In this video, Dr. Norm Uren and Dr. Matt Lamont describe how seismic processing with HPC is used to find new oil and gas resources. As reported here on insideHPC, DownUnder GeoSolutions (DUG) is making great leaps in performance using the Intel Xeon Phi.
“The business case for exascale in O&G is extremely compelling, and — as anyone who has read Daniel Yergin’s “The Prize” will appreciate — goes to the very core of why IOCs exist. In the search for oil and gas in the Gulf of Mexico — one of the richest hydrocarbon basins in the world that continues to reinvent itself for exploration plays — the biggest prizes lie in ultra-deep water. In a deeply submerged area about 300 miles southwest of New Orleans and extending into Mexico waters, rock formations from the Paleogene period, also known as the Lower Tertiary, represent the leading edge of deep-water oil discovery. ” [Read More...]
In this episode of This Week in HPC, Michael Feldman and Addison Snell from Intersect360 Research discuss the new Fortissimo Foundation from A3Cube, a clustered, pervasive, global direct-remote I/O access system. For more details, check out our A3Cube Slidecast over at insideBIGDATA. After that, they look at Paypal’s use of TI Keystone DSP processors for systems intelligence. By analyzing their chaotic real-time server data, Paypal is getting real-time, organized, intelligent results with extreme energy efficiency using HP’s Moonshot servers. [Read More...]
- Slidecast: MPI-3 Is Here – Optimize and Perform with Intel MPI Tools
- Radio Free HPC Previews the StartupHPC Meetup at SC14
- Silicon Mechanics Sponsors Massachusetts Green Team
- Simulations show why Bacteria Cheat and Cooperate
- Bill Gropp to Teach Designing and Building Applications for Extreme-Scale Systems
- Karst Supercomputer to Power Research at Indiana University
- On the Long Path to Exascale, Storage is Already Working Smarter
- Easily Scale Lustre to Petabytes of Data
- Slidecast: Energy-efficient Computation
- SysFera and Kitware Integrate their HPC Technologies
- Why Create a New Programming Language with Chapel?
- Webinar: Enhancing HPC Performance Through an Optimized Fabric
- Cyfronet to Deploy 1.7 Petaflop HP Apollo 8000 Supercomputer