With the growth of big data, cloud and high performance computing, demands on data centers around the world are expanding every year. Unfortunately, these demands are coming up against significant opposition in the form of operating constraints, capital constraints, and sustainability goals. In this article, we look at 8 of these constraints and how direct-to-chip liquid cooling is solving them.
The development of photonic technologies to speed up computing has taken two steps forward, following recent announcements demonstrating the use of photonics in both processing and data transfer.
PNNL researchers are using supercomputers to take on two of the main challenges of exascale: energy efficiency and resiliency. Their simulations show that dynamic voltage scaling, also known as undervolting, can reduce power consumption and leverage existing mainstream resilience techniques at scale for improving system failure rates.
Industry Perspectives"As we see Moore’s Law alive and well, more and more parallelism is introduced into all computing platforms and on all levels of integration and programming to achieve higher performance and energy efficiency. We will discuss Multi- and Many-Core solutions for highly parallel workloads with general purpose and energy efficient technologies. We will also touch on the challenges and opportunities for parallel programming models, methodologies and software tools to achieve highly efficient and highly productive parallel applications. At the end we will take a brief look towards Exascale computing." [Read More...]
The Open Compute Project, initiated by Facebook as a way to increase computing power while lowering associated costs with hyper-scale computing, has gained a significant industry following. This guide to Open Computing is design to help organizations optimize their HPC environment to achieve higher performance at a lower operating cost. [Read More...]
- Lustre & Kerberos: In Theory and In Practice
- Hunting Supernovas with Supercomputers
- Video: Accelerated Quantum Chemistry with CP2K
- Job of the Week: Lead Research Systems Engineer in Portland
- Video: High Performance Computing with Python
- Interview: HPC Success Stories Session Coming to ISC 2015
- Call for Papers: HiPEAC 2016 in Prague
- Sandia’s Mark Taylor Receives DOE Secretary’s Honor Award
- New Magazine Celebrates PRACE Women in HPC
- GCS in Germany Awards Close to 1 Billion Core Hours
- Call for Presentations: PBS Works User Group
- German HPC Leads European Research
- SC15 Announces Test of Time Award Winners