This is the 4th installment of a 6 article series on the trends and technologies impacting the application of HPC in Life Sciences. Here we explore how companies like SGI and Intel address computational and storage problems inherent in Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) applications.
Ensuring a reproducible result of HPC workloads no matter the platform used is key to settle the battle between operations (update fast, due to compliance / security) and end- user (never touch a running system). By pushing his docker related HPC research further, Christian is showcasing his results on Immutable Application Containers.
The Convey Computer site reports that the company has been acquired by Micron. This is not an April Fools, guys. There just may be a hybrid-core server with an Automata processor available soon from a vendor near you.
Industry PerspectivesIn this video from the 2015 Stanford HPC Conference, Addison Snell from Intersect360 Research presents: High Performance Computing Trends. "Intersect360 Research's deep knowledge of HPC, coupled with strong marketing and consulting expertise, results in actionable intelligence for the HPC industry - insights and advice that allow customers to make decisions that are measurably positive to their business." [Read More...]
Over at Scalability.org, Joe Landman writes that we are on the cusp of a healthcare revolution that will be sparked by high performance parallelized genomics analysis. Much of the awesomeness is in the algorithm, a massively parallel system that is described in depth here: “Churchill: an ultra-fast, deterministic, highly scalable and balanced parallelization strategy for the discovery of human genetic variation in clinical and population-scale genomics.” [Read More...]
- Registration Opens for ISC High Performance
- SiYB is a Supercomputer in your Browser
- April 1 Video: Si Tortoise Data Security Appliance
- Job of the Week: Research Storage Lead at University of Michigan
- Video: The InfiniBand Subnet Manager from Fabriscale
- InsideHPC Guide to Genomics
- SGI to Boost Pangea Supercomputer to 6.7 Petaflops
- Europe Seeks Routes to Saving Energy in HPC
- Video: NVM Express Introduction and Tutorial
- Open Computing Drives Innovation and Efficiency
- OCF Builds CFD-ready Lenovo HPC Appliance
- X-ISS Makes Top 20 Most-Promising HPC Solution Providers
- Video: Accelerating Big Data Processing with Hadoop, Spark and Memcached