This is the 4th installment of a 6 article series on the trends and technologies impacting the application of HPC in Life Sciences. Here we explore how companies like SGI and Intel address computational and storage problems inherent in Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) applications.
Ensuring a reproducible result of HPC workloads no matter the platform used is key to settle the battle between operations (update fast, due to compliance / security) and end- user (never touch a running system). By pushing his docker related HPC research further, Christian is showcasing his results on Immutable Application Containers.
The Convey Computer site reports that the company has been acquired by Micron. This is not an April Fools, guys. There just may be a hybrid-core server with an Automata processor available soon from a vendor near you.
Industry PerspectivesIn this special guest feature from Scientific Computing World, John Barr surveys the technologies that will underpin the next generation of HPC processors and finds that software, not hardware, holds the key. [Read More...]
Has Cloud HPC finally made it's way to the Missing Middle? In this slidecast, Jason Stowe from Cycle Computing describes how the company enabled HGST to spin up a 70,000-core cluster from AWS and then return it 8 hours later. "One of HGST’s engineering workloads seeks to find an optimal advanced drive head design, taking 30 days to complete on an in-house cluster. In layman terms, this workload runs 1 million simulations for designs based upon 22 different design parameters running on 3 drive media Running these simulations using an in-house, specially built simulator, the workload takes approximately 30 days to complete on an internal cluster." [Read More...]
- Registration Opens for ISC High Performance
- SiYB is a Supercomputer in your Browser
- April 1 Video: Si Tortoise Data Security Appliance
- Job of the Week: Research Storage Lead at University of Michigan
- Video: The InfiniBand Subnet Manager from Fabriscale
- InsideHPC Guide to Genomics
- SGI to Boost Pangea Supercomputer to 6.7 Petaflops
- Europe Seeks Routes to Saving Energy in HPC
- Video: NVM Express Introduction and Tutorial
- Open Computing Drives Innovation and Efficiency
- OCF Builds CFD-ready Lenovo HPC Appliance
- X-ISS Makes Top 20 Most-Promising HPC Solution Providers
- Video: Accelerating Big Data Processing with Hadoop, Spark and Memcached