Today the Jülich Supercomputing Centre announced that Dr. Bernd Mohr has been elected General Chair of the SC17 Supercomputing Conference. This is the first time that somebody outside the USA will chair the most important conference for high performance computing, which has been running for the last 26 years.
In this podcast, Rich, Dan, and Henry review the year in HPC. It was a wild ride, and here we highlight some of our best shows from the past twelve months and the technology milestones that made 2014 a banner year in high performance computing. And did I mention we have a few laughs along the way?
In this video from SC14, Torben Kling-Petersen from Seagate describes an upcoming deployment of a 55 Petabyte Lustre file system in Hamburg, Germany. The ClusterStor deployment will be the most energy-efficient file system of its kind in the world upon installation.
Storage and data management have arguably become the most important HPC “pain points” already, with access densities a particularly troubling issue. Many HPC sites are doubling their storage capacities every two to three years, but adding capacity does not address the access density, data movement, and related storage issues many HPC buyers face. When this happens, your investments in processing, networking, middleware and applications are choked off by bottlenecks in your storage infrastructure. If you’re looking to maximize throughput of your technical computing infrastructure, storage performance often holds the key. [Read More…]
Over at DataCenter Dynamics, Jill King from Adaptive Computing writes that women are severely underrepresented in STEM professions: In fact, only about a quarter of workers in STEM fields were women as recently as 2011. To begin to address this issue, King reached out to three colleagues in the HPC industry to ask about their experiences. [Read More…]
- Video: William Edsall of Dow on Why HPC Matters
- Call for Workshop Submissions: ISC High Performance 2015
- How HPC Cluster Manager Integrates Allinea Performance Reports
- Indian Research Labs Speed Code Development with Allinea
- Interview: Advancing Computational Chemistry with NWChem
- Tesla K80 GPU Sets New Records on STAC-A2 Financial Benchmark
- Managing Cluster Complexity
- Austrians Monitor Flood Waters with Visual Analysis System
- How Nirvana Software Provides Sophisticated Metadata Management
- KAUST to Acquire Cray XC40
- Bright Computing Powers Aircraft Design at University of Stuttgart
- A New Open Ethernet Switch Abstraction Interface from Mellanox
- How Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Tops the Agenda