Solving Navier-Sokes equations are popular because they describe the physics of in a number of areas of interest to scientists and engineers. By solving these equations, the flow velocity can be calculated, and then other quantities of interest, such as pressure or temperature may be determined.
In the late 1980s, genomic sequencing began to shift from wet lab work to a computationally intensive science; by end of the 1990s this trend was in full swing. The application of computer science and high performance computing (HPC) to these biological problems became the normal mode of operation for many molecular biologists.
“We introduce a high-performance cost-effective network topology called Slim Fly that approaches the theoretically optimal network diameter. Slim Fly is based on graphs that approximate the solution to the degree-diameter problem. We analyze Slim Fly and compare it to both traditional and state-of-the-art networks. Our analysis shows that Slim Fly has significant advantages over other topologies in latency, bandwidth, resiliency, cost, and power consumption.”
Industry Perspectives"High performance computing (HPC) is inextricably linked to innovation, fueling breakthroughs in science, engineering, and business. HPC is viewed as a cost-effective tool for speeding up the R&D process, and two-thirds of all US-based companies that use HPC say that “increasing performance of computational models is a matter of competitive survival.” [Read More...]
In this podcast, the Radio Free HPC team discuss the possibility of a future where the Big 3 (Amazon, Google, and Microsoft) figure out that Cloud is not profitable and pull the plug. If that Cloud Apocalypse sounds far fetched, a look at recent AWS revenue numbers may prompt you to stock up your bomb shelter. [Read More...]
- Video: Application Experiences on DDN’s IME Burst Buffer
- Video: Increasing Cluster Throughput while Reducing Energy Consumption for GPU Workloads
- Job of the Week: Senior HPC GRID Engineer at PDT Partners
- HPC and Software Modernization
- Lenovo Opens HPC Innovation Center in Stuttgart, Readies SuperMUC Phase 2
- How Supercomputers Give Universities a Competitive Edge
- Video: High-Performance and Scalable Designs of Programming Models for Exascale Systems
- insideHPC Guide to Open Computing
- UK Atomic Weapons Establishment Signs up for SGI ICE XA Supercomputer
- Video: Lustre Based Enterprise Storage – Tuning Clients for Optimal Performance
- Microsoft Update on RDMA
- Is Europe Leading the Energy Efficiency Race?
- Petroleum Geo-Services to Acquire 5 Petaflop Cray XC40