Itching to solve a technical or business problem using AI technologies like machine learning and deep learning? The Dell EMC AI Challenge is your chance to get noticed — and maybe even get your innovation off the ground.
DELL EMC AI CHALLENGE
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: Dell EMC AI Challenge (the “Contest”) is open only to individuals at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry. Employees of Dell, Inc., its direct and indirect subsidiaries, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. Employees of the City of New York are not eligible. The Contest is subject to all applicable United States federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void in Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Quebec (Canada) and Taiwan, and where prohibited by law. This Contest is being administered in the United States and shall only be construed and evaluated according to United States law.
Notice to Public Officials: Dell understands that the laws of many jurisdictions restrict private parties, lobbyist employers, and government contractors from providing things of value to government officials, and in some cases, require reporting of such gifts. Likewise, government officials are restricted from accepting gifts or other things of value in many jurisdictions, including Contest prizes. Prior to awarding any prizes you will be required to certify that acceptance of the Contest prize is permitted in accordance with applicable law and ethics policies of your employer.
Notice to Healthcare Employees: If you are an employee in the healthcare industry, prior to awarding any prizes you will be required to obtain certification that acceptance of the contest prize is permitted in accordance with applicable law and ethics policies of your employer.
2. Sponsor: Dell Marketing, L.P., One Dell Way, Round Rock, TX 78682.
3. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in this Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. Timing: The Contest begins on April 30, 2018 at 12:00 a.m. (“CT”) and ends on November 12,2018 at 11:59 p.m. CT (the “Contest Period”) and consists of the following phases (“Phases”):
|Phase||Start Date at 12:00 a.m. CT||End Date at 11:59 p.m. CT|
|Abstract and Proposal Submission||04/30/2018||05/31/2018|
|Set up and Run||06/29/2018||09/015/2018|
Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
5. How to Enter: During the Abstract and Proposal Submission phase, visit www.insidehpc/aichallenge and follow the links and instructions to complete and submit the registration form, including a valid home address. P.O. Boxes are not permitted. Then, follow the directions to submit one (1) Abstract and one (1) Proposal in order to receive one (1) Contest Entry. The Abstract should describe the intent of the project, including: (a) how to use AI technology to solve a technical, research or business problem, (b) the economic or social impact of the solution, and (c) potential for commercialization of the solution. The Proposal should include: (a) a Project Description, (b) the Proposed Model Architecture, Storage Requirements, and (c) Justification for large scale compute. By uploading your Submission, you agree that it conforms to the Submission Guidelines and Content Restrictions as defined below (collectively, the “Guidelines and Restrictions”) and that Sponsor may disqualify you from the Contest if it believes, in its sole discretion that your Submission fails to conform to the Guidelines and Restrictions.
Submission Guidelines for Abstract and Proposal:
Limit: Each entrant may enter the Contest one (1) time during the Contest Period. Submissions received from any person or email address in excess of the stated limit will be void. Submissions generated by script, macro or other automated means are void. Entrant must have permission from all individuals mentioned in the Submission (if any) to use their name and likeness in the Submission and to grant the rights set forth herein. If requested, entrant must be able to provide such permissions in a form acceptable to Sponsor. Uploading a Submission constitutes entrant’s consent to give Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such submissions in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes. If requested, entrant will sign any documentation required for Sponsor or its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights entrant is granting to use the Submission. Released Parties (as defined in Section 9, below) are not responsible for lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected Submissions, all of which will be void.
In the event of a dispute regarding any Submission, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Each potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder.
YOUR REPRESENTATIONS: By submitting an Entry, you affirmatively represent that you have read and agree to these Official Rules. In addition, by submitting an Entry, you represent that (a) the Entry is original, (b) you are the sole creator of the Entry, (c) the Entry does not infringe the intellectual property rights, including, any patent, copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights of any third party, (d) the Entry has not previously been entered in any other contest or competition, and (e) the Entry has not been previously published in any medium, (f) the Entry does not violate any local, state, national or foreign laws.
If you are a professor or University employee you also represent that your participation and eligibility for award complies with all applicable university policies and that you have obtained any authorizations required for participation and award eligibility from the university ethics or compliance office.
U.S. DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT NOTICE
If you believe that your work has been copied in any way without your permission, please provide the following information to our agent to receive Notification of Claimed Copyright Infringement identified below. Your notice must contain the following:
Our agent to receive Notification of Claimed Copyright Infringement can be reached as follows: email@example.com.
6. Winner Determination: After the conclusion of the Entry phase, a panel of qualified judges determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion will select five (5) Finalists from among all eligible Submissions received to continue to the Set Up and Run phase, based on an application of the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
During the Set Up and Run phase, five (5) Finalists will be judged based on the validity and feasibility of the code and solution (50%) and execution of the code (50%) by a panel of qualified judges chosen by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to select fewer than the stated number of winners, if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Submissions. It is possible only one (1) winner will receive both Awards as determined by the panel of qualified judges as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion (See Section 9).
7. Winner Requirements: Potential winners will be notified at SC18 Conference on or around 11/12/18. Except where prohibited, each potential winner may be required to sign and return to Sponsor within ten (10) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release (or local equivalent), a valid W9 form (for prizes exceeding $600 in retail value), and an Innovation Lab Evaluation Program Agreement. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, or does not comply with these Official Rules, potential winner forfeits the prize. If a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, the prize may be awarded to a runner-up determined by the qualified judges, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Only three (3) alternate winners may be determined, after which the applicable prize will remain un-awarded. Acceptance of any prize shall constitute and signify each winner’s agreement and consent that Sponsor and its designees may use the winner’s name, city, state, likeness, Submission and/or prize information in connection with the Contest for promotional, advertising or other purposes, worldwide, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, including the Internet, without limitation and without further payment, notification, permission or other consideration, except where prohibited by law. You will retain ownership of your Entry, including all intellectual property rights which may exist in your Entry. Sponsor shall not acquire any right, title or ownership interest to your Entry. However, by submitting an Entry, you grant the Sponsor the unconditional and perpetual right, license and consent to reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, and exhibit the Entry in any media throughout the world in relation to the Contest, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from you or any other party. Sponsor shall have the right, but not the obligation, to use your name, likeness, biography and other information about you in connection with your Entry. By submitting an Entry, you further agree not to instigate, support, maintain, or authorize any action, claim, or lawsuit against the Sponsor, or any other person, on the grounds that any the Sponsor’s use of your entry as set forth in these Official Rules infringes any of your rights, including, without limitation, copyrights, patent rights, trademark rights, or moral rights (droit moral). You further acknowledge that the Sponsor is in no way obligated to protect any intellectual property rights which may exist in the Entry or to publish or use your Entry in any way. It is your sole responsibility to secure any intellectual property rights which may exist in your Entry, whether before or after it is submitted. Nothing herein shall constitute an employment, joint venture, or partnership relationship between you and the Sponsor. In no way are you to be construed as the agent or to be acting as the agent of the Sponsor. Each winner accepts and acknowledges that Sponsor shall not be obligated to use the Submission and that Sponsor in its sole discretion shall have the right to refrain from using the Submission. By entering, entrant agrees he/she is in compliance with all of his/her employers’ rules, policies, and procedures that relate accepting prizes. Each winner will indemnify Sponsor, Released Parties (as defined in Section 10, below) and any licensee of Sponsor against all claims, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including reasonable counsel fees and legal expenses) arising out of any breach of these terms. Prizes will be fulfilled approximately 4 weeks after conclusion of the Contest.
8. Disclosure of Entry: You submit your Entry at your own risk. By submitting an Entry, your ideas, methods and materials may be made available to the public. It is your sole responsibility to secure any intellectual property rights which may exist in your Entry, whether before or after it is submitted. By submitting an Entry, you further acknowledge and agree that the Sponsor and its designees, or other contestants, may have created on their own, or may independently create in the future, a design that may be similar or identical to your Entry. You hereby waive any and all claims you may have, and/or may have in the future, that the Entry accepted, reviewed and/or displayed and distributed by the Sponsor and its designees, or submitted by other contestants, may be similar to your Entry. If you have any concerns that your intellectual property rights may be disclosed to the public or otherwise compromised, you should seek further guidance before entering the Contest.
*It is possible only one (1) winner will receive both Awards as determined by a panel of qualified judges. Any content generated by a winner(s) as a result of receiving these prizes will be subject to prior Dell review and approval, and all Content Restrictions herein (See section 5).
Total ARV for all prizes: $20,000.00 USD. Prizes are non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Prizes not manufactured or sold by Dell will be awarded without warranty of any kind, express or implied, without limitation. Prizes awarded will not in any way influence any decision in doing business with Dell. Prize is not given in connection with or related to any sale or commercial transaction or promise related thereto. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason. Winners are responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use.
10. Release: By entering, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, Dell, Marketing L.P., and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
11. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures, human error or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. If terminated, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, determine the winners from among all nonsuspect, eligible Submissions received up to time of such action using the judging procedure outlined above. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the Submission process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and void all associated Submissions. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys’ fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
12. Limitations of Liability: Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrant, printing, typographical or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Submission process or the Contest; (4) printing, typographical, technical, computer, network or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the uploading, the processing or judging of Submissions, the announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials; (5) late, lost, undeliverable, damaged or stolen mail; or (6) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize (including any travel/activity related thereto). Released Parties are not responsible for misdirected or undeliverable Submissions or for any technical problems, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. Released Parties are not responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of any Submission.
13. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by United States District Court for the Western District of Texas and the Texas State District Court in Williamson County, Texas. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Texas, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Texas or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Texas.
15. Winner List: For a winner list, visit www.insidehpc/aichallenge. The winner list will be posted after winner confirmation is complete.