Today Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) announced new server portfolio offerings that deliver new levels of performance to help customers accelerate innovation, speed time-to-value and modernize their data centers. These new offerings include:
- New compute platforms with built-in support for Persistent Memory, a technology that combines the performance of high-speed memory and the persistence of storage to deliver new levels of application performance
- New HPE ProLiant Gen9serveroptions and related solutions to help enterprise customers modernize their data centers
- New HPE workload-optimized platforms and solutions including new HPE Apollo and HPE Moonshot systems – designed to deliver new levels of performance and real-time insights for deep learning systems, high-performance computing (HPC) and financial services industry (FSI) applications
As the industry’s leading server vendor, HPE is committed to bringing new infrastructure innovations to the market that enable organizations to derive more value from their data,” said Vikram K, Director, Servers, Hewlett Packard Enterprise India. “We are delivering on that commitment by delivering a complete Persistent Memory hardware and software ecosystem into our server portfolio, as well as high-performance computing enhancements that will allow customers to increase agility, protect critical information and deliver new applications and services more quickly than ever before.”
With today’s announcement, HPE builds on its industry leadership in compute technology and sets customers on a path towards Memory-Driven Computing. These new solutions and technologies for the HPE ProLiant Gen9 portfolio provide organizations with a range of compute innovations that are designed for optimized performance in a hybrid infrastructure environment.
HPE Persistent Memory is designed for accelerating database and analytics workload performance. The new HPE ProLiant Gen9 servers are optimized for the first product in the HPE Persistent Memory portfolio, the HPE 8GB NVDIMM. This technology is ideal for any applications that are constrained by traditional storage bottlenecks.
The HPE 8GB NVDIMM is designed around industry-standard NVDIMM-N technology, working with standards bodies such as JEDEC and SNIA, and includes back-up power from the HPE Smart Storage Battery, which supports up to 16 NVDIMMs for moving data from DRAM to Flash when power is lost.
HPE is working with industry operating system and application providers to enable the software ecosystem for HPE Persistent Memory offerings and to simplify implementation for HPE ProLiant server customers.
In addition, new HPE ProLiant Gen9 server options and solutions include:
- New Intel Xeon platform –designed to support up to 22 cores and memory speeds of up to 2400MT/s, the new Intel Xeon E5-2600 v41 processor offers up to 25 percent performance gains2 for HPE ProLiant Gen9 servers.
- State of the art solid state drives (SSDs) –HPE NVMe SSDs are compact, economical and offer up to 2TB of storage in a flexible package that includes Express Bay for front access to drives that are designed for big-ticket jobs, including online transaction processing, business intelligence and Big Data analytics.
- HPE Application Migration to Cloud Solution –secure, tested and validated reference architecture delivered by HPE Technology Services experts to help customers migrate on-premises applications to a private cloud.
Accelerating time-to-value for deep learning applications
Organizations running complex HPC and big data workloads, such as modeling, simulation, high frequency trading and deep learning, are now able to modernize their data centers with infrastructure solutions that are purpose-built and optimized to analyze massive volumes of data with speed, scale and efficiency. IDC forecasts robust growth of the worldwide HPC market from $21 billion in 2015 to $31 billion in 2019.3
Deep learning algorithms are exploding in the industry as organizations are under competitive pressure to support the increasing sophistication of simulation and machine learning models. With up to eight high performance NVIDIA GPU cards designed for maximum transfer bandwidth, the HPE Apollo 6500 System is purpose-built for deep learning applications. Its high ratio of GPUs to CPUs, dense 4U form factor and efficient design enable organizations to run deep learning recommendation algorithms faster and more efficiently. This significantly reduces model training time and accelerates the delivery of real-time results, all while controlling costs.
When used with comprehensive GPU computing platforms like the NVIDIA Tesla Accelerated Computing Platform, the HPE Apollo 6500 provides maximum GPU processing capacity across a broad ecosystem of tools. The HPE Apollo 6500 is designed to support deep learning computing platforms and application programming interface models, such as Caffe, CUDA, Torch, Theano, Tensorflow, the NVIDIA Deep Learning SDK, and the newly announced Cognitive Computing Toolkit from HPE.
Lower total cost of ownership with new HPC storage server solution
Most HPC-specific storage solutions on the market today are closed appliances, which limits flexibility for customers, drawing IT organizations into vendor lock-in. The HPE Apollo 4520 System is designed to give customers the opportunity to implement reliable open and supported parallel file system architectures to address their HPC storage needs.
The HPE Apollo 4520, a dual-node system with high performance fabrics and drive failover, is specifically designed to support Lustre implementations. In turn, customers who are looking to accelerate innovation have the choice to implement either an HPE supported Lustre solution, based on the Intel® Enterprise Edition for Lustre* software or Open Source Lustre with community support. Through HPE’s contributions to the Lustre community as well as tight integration with Open ZFS and Intel® Enterprise Edition for Lustre* software, the Apollo 4520 solution delivers industry-leading resiliency and flexibility to meet customers’ most demanding requirements.
Delivering greater trader productivity, trading performance and ensuring compliance for the financial services industry
To help financial services customers boost business productivity, gain competitive differentiation in high-frequency trading performance, and manage increasing regulatory compliance needs, HPE is introducing a number of new industry solutions:
- HPE Moonshot Trader Workstation Solution: Enhances financial trader experience and productivity using HPE Moonshot and Citrix solutions. This enables trading companies to deploy physical hosted desktop environments, providing a secure workstation experience with accelerated graphics and high compute performance to run online trading applications.
- HPE Trade and Match Server Solution: Leverages the density-optimized HPE Apollo 2000 server with frequency optimized single socket processors to consistently deliver up to 28 percent performance improvement4 on trade processing and minimizing system latency for increased competitive differentiation with lower total cost of ownership (TCO).
- HPE Risk Compliant Archive Solution: Enables organizations to keep up with the increasing number of complex, regulatory archiving compliance requirements efficiently and securely, without the need for disruptive and time-consuming data migrations. This solution, composed of iTernity iCAS software verified for data archiving standards and Scality RING file and object storage with HPE Apollo 4000 servers, provides a long-term, robust, and cost-effective platform for implementing compliant data archives combined with an ability to support multiple media formats, applications, and locations.
In addition, HPE is releasing an innovative edition of Vertica for Hadoop-configured Apollo and ProLiant platforms. The company will also be issuing reference architectures for optimizing HPE Vertica for SQL on Hadoop to deliver fast, advanced analytics. This combined offering helps organizations tackle their largest analytics challenges to support any Hadoop distribution.
New HPE ProLiant Gen9 server options and related solutions are now available through HPE and worldwide channel partners.