As the countdown to Exascale continues, Exascale-like storage problems are already showing up in today’s massively parallel, heterogeneous HPC systems. Historically, storage and I/O have kept pace with growing system demands, but, because of the limitations of spinning media and the cost of solid state storage technologies, storage performance improvements have come at a disproportionately higher cost and lower efficiency than their compute counterparts.
Scientists across the U.S. will soon have access to new, ultra high-speed network links spanning the Atlantic Ocean, thanks to a project currently underway to extend ESnet (the U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Sciences Network) to London, Amsterdam and Geneva.
IDC reports many companies are struggling with costly development cycles, delays to market, poor product life cycle planning, and a shortage or misappropriation of highly skilled engineering resources. The adoption of HPC by manufacturers, both large and small, can help alleviate these problems.
This Week in HPC: Supercomputing Future Uncertain for NSF, and Cray and SGI Unveil Big Data Appliances
In this episode of This Week in HPC, Michael Feldman and Addison Snell from Intersect360 Research discuss a recent National Research Council report that indicates the NSF is falling behind in supercomputing. After the break, they look at new Big Data Appliances from Cray and SGI. [Read More...]
“If you have something that’s not optimal on a single laptop, that’s no big deal, but if you’re on a large national resource [an HPC system], first you’re preventing other researchers from using the machines, and second, you’re wasting taxpayer money,” Biros said. “Efficient computing is about maximizing science per dollar.” [Read More...]
- World Community Grid Powers Big Genomics
- SGI and Xeon Phi Power Oil & Gas Discovery Down Under
- Mellanox InfiniBand Powers Top European HPC Centers
- Making the Cloud Easier to Use
- Call for Participation: HPCAC-ISC 2015 Student Cluster Competition
- NREL Named 2014 Laboratory of the Year with Liquid-Cooled Supercomputer
- Mellanox Boards the ARM Platform for HP’s Moonshot
- Job of the Week: HPC Senior System Administrator at GM
- New Report: Scaling Ansys in the Cloud
- This Week in HPC: Supercomputing Future Uncertain for NSF, and Cray and SGI Unveil Big Data Appliances
- Agenda Posted: HPC Advisory Council China Conference
- Great Speakers Line up for the StartupHPC Meetup at SC14
- RCE Podcast: Bringing Modeling & Simulation into the Classroom with the Shodor Foundation