In scale-out NAS, HPC storage performance can be driven by several factors including elimination of file processing bottlenecks, parallel data paths and more. Learn how to maintain storage performance as you scale.
In this video, Dr. Norm Uren and Dr. Matt Lamont describe how seismic processing with HPC is used to find new oil and gas resources. As reported here on insideHPC, DownUnder GeoSolutions (DUG) is making great leaps in performance using the Intel Xeon Phi.
“A crazy idea was born at ISC14 while answering questions about the new energy metrics in Allinea Performance Reports and Allinea MAP – could the information in these reports show us an easy way to increase energy efficiency without having to change the program? The idea was to use CPU frequency scaling to run memory-bound jobs at a lower clock frequency. In Lazy Energy Efficiency Challenge One, I found that on a synthetic benchmark I could increase the iterations per watt by 19% on a memory-bound code.”
“Scalable parallel programmers (and desktop parallel programmers, for that matter) would benefit greatly from a productive new language supporting better syntax, features and optimizations than today’s parallel notations offer. HPC has a rich set of lower-level technologies upon which to build and numerous failed parallel languages from which to learn.” [Read More...]
“The cloud is ready for high-performance computing (HPC). Enthusiasm is large, but progress is slow,” Karsten Gaier from the software vendor Nice told the ISC Cloud conference in Heidelberg at the end of September. Why should this be so since, as Thomas Goepel from HP pointed out, the cloud ought to be attractive to small and medium sized enterprises that cannot afford their own supercomputing clusters? [Read More...]
- Silicon Mechanics Sponsors Massachusetts Green Team
- Simulations show why Bacteria Cheat and Cooperate
- Bill Gropp to Teach Designing and Building Applications for Extreme-Scale Systems
- Karst Supercomputer to Power Research at Indiana University
- On the Long Path to Exascale, Storage is Already Working Smarter
- Easily Scale Lustre to Petabytes of Data
- SysFera and Kitware Integrate their HPC Technologies
- Why Create a New Programming Language with Chapel?
- Webinar: Enhancing HPC Performance Through an Optimized Fabric
- Cyfronet to Deploy 1.7 Petaflop HP Apollo 8000 Supercomputer
- HPC Wales and Fujitsu Launch Northern Ireland’s First Supercomputing Service
- World Community Grid Powers Big Genomics
- SGI and Xeon Phi Power Oil & Gas Discovery Down Under