“Over at the Parallel for All Blog, Everett Phillips and Massimiliano Fatica write that GPUs offer good acceleration on the new HPCG benchmark that has been designed to augment Linpack as a measure of performance for the TOP500. Their GPU porting strategy focused on parallelizing the Symmetric Gauss-Seidel smoother (SYMGS), which accounts for approximately two thirds of the benchmark flops.”
In scale-out NAS, HPC storage performance can be driven by several factors including elimination of file processing bottlenecks, parallel data paths and more. Learn how to maintain storage performance as you scale.
In this video, Dr. Norm Uren and Dr. Matt Lamont describe how seismic processing with HPC is used to find new oil and gas resources. As reported here on insideHPC, DownUnder GeoSolutions (DUG) is making great leaps in performance using the Intel Xeon Phi.
As the countdown to Exascale continues, Exascale-like storage problems are already showing up in today’s massively parallel, heterogeneous HPC systems. Historically, storage and I/O have kept pace with growing system demands, but, because of the limitations of spinning media and the cost of solid state storage technologies, storage performance improvements have come at a disproportionately higher cost and lower efficiency than their compute counterparts. [Read More...]
“Scalable parallel programmers (and desktop parallel programmers, for that matter) would benefit greatly from a productive new language supporting better syntax, features and optimizations than today’s parallel notations offer. HPC has a rich set of lower-level technologies upon which to build and numerous failed parallel languages from which to learn.” [Read More...]
- Slidecast: MPI-3 Is Here – Optimize and Perform with Intel MPI Tools
- Radio Free HPC Previews the StartupHPC Meetup at SC14
- Silicon Mechanics Sponsors Massachusetts Green Team
- Simulations show why Bacteria Cheat and Cooperate
- Bill Gropp to Teach Designing and Building Applications for Extreme-Scale Systems
- Karst Supercomputer to Power Research at Indiana University
- On the Long Path to Exascale, Storage is Already Working Smarter
- Easily Scale Lustre to Petabytes of Data
- Slidecast: Energy-efficient Computation
- SysFera and Kitware Integrate their HPC Technologies
- Why Create a New Programming Language with Chapel?
- Webinar: Enhancing HPC Performance Through an Optimized Fabric
- Cyfronet to Deploy 1.7 Petaflop HP Apollo 8000 Supercomputer