Cray was bullish in its presentation of financial results for the second quarter, following a series of recent contracts awarded to the company.
With the rise of manycore processors, double-dense blade form factors, and wider and deeper cabinets, the size and density of HPC systems have grown more than 300 percent since 1999. This high density of “heat offenders” requires a much-more efficient method of temperature control than is possible with air cooling. And while liquid cooling is generally more efficient, not all liquid alternatives are created equal.
This video from the Alma telescope shows a computer simulation of multiple star formation in turbulence. Powered by Fujitsu, the purpose-built Atacama Compact Array (ACA) Correlator supercomputer system process images from the array, which was constructed on the Chajnantor plateau at 5,000 metres altitude, near Llano de Chajnantor Observatory in Chile.
In this video, Adrian Bowles from STORM Insights discusses the TOP500 in terms of market share and other trends in the high performance computing market. “STORM Insights, Inc is an emerging technology market intelligence firm, providing services for tech buyers, sellers, investors and analysts.” [Read More...]
“Over the years I have chaired many parts of the Technical Program, but never had a chance to chair the whole Technical Program. SC plays an important role in the high-performance community. It is through the SC Conference that HPC practitioners get an overview of the field, get to showcase our important work, and network with the community.” [Read More...]
In this Industry Perspective, insideHPC editor Rich Brueckner asks our readers an important question: What Would You Do with an Exaflop? ” I went looking for such exascale use cases this morning, and I found this remarkable story in Harvard Topics Magazine about how an exascale system could predict heart attacks and artery blockage.” [Read More...]
- It’s Raining HPC – How Supercomputing is Shaping Weather Forecasts
- Speakers Announced for FLOW-3D Users Conference
- XSEDE Announces Compatible Basic Cluster Software
- New Paper: Toward Exascale Resilience – 2014 update
- STORM Insights Looks at the HPC Market
- Altair To Acquire Visual Solutions, Makers of VisSim
- IBM Offers World Community Grid to Sustainability Scientists
- Podcast: NNSA Discusses $174 Million Trinity Supercomputer
- Video: An Introduction to OpenACC
- New Whitepaper: File I/O on Intel Xeon Phi (RAM disks, VirtIO, NFS, and Lustre)
- Bright Computing Secures $14.5 Million Funding
- PRACE Awards 1.2 Billion Core Hours for Research
- SC14 Technical Program: an Interview with Jack Dongarra