Poland’s Cyfronet will soon deploy a new HP Apollo 8000 supercomputer. Named Prometheus, the 1.7 Petaflop supercomputer will be four times more powerful than its predecessor and one of the fastest systems in Europe.
Today global geosciences company DownUnder GeoSolutions (DUG) announced the purchase of HPC hardware from SGI. Powered by Intel Xeon Phi, the new systems are expected to significantly improve the rate of discovery and analysis for oil and gas exploration.
As the countdown to Exascale continues, Exascale-like storage problems are already showing up in today’s massively parallel, heterogeneous HPC systems. Historically, storage and I/O have kept pace with growing system demands, but, because of the limitations of spinning media and the cost of solid state storage technologies, storage performance improvements have come at a disproportionately higher cost and lower efficiency than their compute counterparts.
“The cloud is ready for high-performance computing (HPC). Enthusiasm is large, but progress is slow,” Karsten Gaier from the software vendor Nice told the ISC Cloud conference in Heidelberg at the end of September. Why should this be so since, as Thomas Goepel from HP pointed out, the cloud ought to be attractive to small and medium sized enterprises that cannot afford their own supercomputing clusters? [Read More...]
This Week in HPC: Supercomputing Future Uncertain for NSF, and Cray and SGI Unveil Big Data Appliances
In this episode of This Week in HPC, Michael Feldman and Addison Snell from Intersect360 Research discuss a recent National Research Council report that indicates the NSF is falling behind in supercomputing. After the break, they look at new Big Data Appliances from Cray and SGI. [Read More...]
- SysFera and Kitware Integrate their HPC Technologies
- Why Create a New Programming Language with Chapel?
- Webinar: Enhancing HPC Performance Through an Optimized Fabric
- HPC Wales and Fujitsu Launch Northern Ireland’s First Supercomputing Service
- World Community Grid Powers Big Genomics
- Mellanox InfiniBand Powers Top European HPC Centers
- Making the Cloud Easier to Use
- High Speed Transatlantic Network to Foster Science Collaboration
- Call for Participation: HPCAC-ISC 2015 Student Cluster Competition
- NREL Named 2014 Laboratory of the Year with Liquid-Cooled Supercomputer
- Mellanox Boards the ARM Platform for HP’s Moonshot
- InsideHPC Guide to HPC in Manufacturing
- A Petitition for Better Research Software