Today Netlist announced the first public demonstration of its HybriDIMM Storage Class Memory (SCM) product at the upcoming Flash Memory Summit. Using an industry standard DDR4 LRDIMM interface, HybriDIMM is the first SCM product to operate in current Intel x86 servers without BIOS and hardware changes, and the first unified DRAM-NAND solution that scales memory to terabyte storage capacities and accelerates storage to nanosecond memory speeds.
Our technology addresses the explosive growth of unstructured data and the increasing need to process that data in memory. By delivering the industry’s first plug and play SCM solution, Netlist is helping to make big data analytics accessible for the broader market,” said C.K. Hong, Chairman and CEO of Netlist. “We are excited to be working with global partners to the benefit of end customers.”
HybriDIMM’s breakthrough architecture combines an on-DIMM co-processor with Netlist’s PreSight™ technology ─ predictive software-defined data management – to unify memory and storage at near-DRAM speeds. HybriDIMM dramatically improves application performance by reducing data access latency by up to 1,000 times versus the fastest existing storage solution and provides up to 80% cost reduction compared to the highest existing memory density for in-memory applications. HybriDIMM’s robust feature-set encompasses the NVDIMM functionalities adopted by the industry.
In 2015 Netlist partnered with Samsung under a joint development agreement for a standards-based SCM. Xilinx and Integrated Device Technology (IDT) have also partnered with Netlist to create an ecosystem that drives broad adoption of HybriDIMM in the market place.
The promise of SCM is to bridge the price-performance gap between DRAM and NAND. Others are attempting to cross this chasm with new memory materials. By combining the best attributes of proven technologies – DRAM’s speed and durability with NAND’s capacity, persistence and cost, Netlist is able to deliver a cost-effective SCM product today,” said Jim Handy, principal analyst, Objective Analysis. “SCM market could exceed $2 billion by 2020.”
At the Flash Memory Summit, Netlist will be demonstrating its HybriDIMM SCM solutions through a live demo showcasing:
- The industry’s first SCM product with plug and play DDR4 LRDIMM interface on an Intel x86 server without a BIOS change
- The industry’s first SCM product concurrently presenting both block storage and byte addressable persistent memory, while running at near memory speeds
Netlist plans to provide samples of HybriDIMM to select customers starting later this year with volume production expected in 2017.
Technical Summary of DDR4 HybriDIMM:
- Unifies memory and storage into one module (DIMM), breaking the decades-long limitations of the Von Neumann computing architecture
- Applies the predictive algorithms of the PreSight technology to pre-fetch and stage required data to scale memory to storage capacities
- Accelerates storage access time to near memory speeds using advanced buffering technology
- Allows the use of multi-Terabytes of persistent memory at speeds an order of magnitude faster than NAND, to run real-time in-memory applications on existing Intel-based servers
- Gen. 1 HybriDIMM: configurable 256-512GB NAND + 8-16GB DRAM per DIMM/1866 MTS 3DPC for Broadwell with Linux support; block storage mode, application direct mode
- Gen. 2 HybriDIMM: configurable 1TB NAND + 32GB DRAM per DIMM/2400 MTS 2DPC for Purley with Linux, Windows support; block storage mode, application direct mode