Today Panasas announced ActiveStor 18, its latest generation hybrid scale-out NAS appliance. By adopting 8 terabyte drive technology, ActiveStor 18 increases scalability to more than 20 petabytes and 200 gigabytes per second. According to Panasas, ActiveStor 18 also offers increased CPU power and twice the storage cache capacity to further accelerate mixed workload performance.
Driven by growing unstructured data sets and the promise of big data, business continues to demand more of storage – more performance, greater scale and higher reliability – to drive ideas and innovation,” said Steve Conway, IDC Research vice president, high performance computing/data analysis. “Panasas ActiveStor benefits from its deep roots in technical computing where performance, scalability and data protection, as well as ease of management, are tested by the most challenging compute workloads. As industries such as media and entertainment, manufacturing and life sciences find their storage needs moving further into the technical realm, Panasas is well positioned to meet their requirements.”
By delivering performance and data protection that increases with scale, ActiveStor accelerates time-to-results for the most demanding high performance workloads in energy, government, life sciences, manufacturing, media and entertainment and university environments. Whether advancing genomic research using next-gen sequencing technology, rendering visual effects for an animated film, designing advanced aircraft with complex CAE/FEA models, or optimizing the extraction of oil and gas deposits through seismic processing-based analysis, ActiveStor customers know their data is accessible, secure, and easily managed.
￼ActiveStor offers a true scale-out architecture incorporating hybrid storage hardware, file system and protocols in a fully integrated solution. Its architecture combines high-capacity hard drives and fast flash devices for superior mixed-workload performance with rapid access to small and large files alike.
Key Features of ActiveStor 18
- Linear scalability of capacity and performance
- Field proven at more than 20PB and 200GB/s in a single global namespace with 130 shelves, 2,600 HDDs, 1,300 SSDs
- 33 percent increase in density
- Up to 1.8PB per rack (or 181.2TB per 4U enclosure), leveraging 8TB drive technology
- Flash capacity optimized for RAID 6+ triple parity data protection
- Up to 20 percent faster mixed workload,metadata and small file performance
- 2x more storage cache – up to 2.7TB per rack (or 272GB per 4U enclosure)
- 19 percent faster CPU
- PanFS storage operating system
- A comprehensive single global namespace solution for simplified storage management
- Multiple protocol support
- Panasas DirectFlow protocol as well as NFS and SMB protocols
- RAID6+ Triple Parity Protection
- Per-file distributed software based on erasure codes provides a 150-fold increase in reliability over dual-parity approaches and allows reliability to increase with scale￼￼￼
ActiveStor delivers a unique combination of high performance throughput, enterprise-grade reliability and ease of management at any scale,” said Tom Shea, chief operating officer at Panasas. “All competitive products compromise at least one of those key capabilities, leaving ActiveStor as the only proven no-compromise solution in the market today.”
Panasas ActiveStor 18 is expected to ship in September 2015.