At SC14, the Texas Advanced Computing Center announced that high performance computing veteran John West has been named director of Strategic Initiatives for The University of Texas at Austin.
Today the Jülich Supercomputing Centre announced that Dr. Bernd Mohr has been elected General Chair of the SC17 Supercomputing Conference. This is the first time that somebody outside the USA will chair the most important conference for high performance computing, which has been running for the last 26 years.
In this podcast, Rich, Dan, and Henry review the year in HPC. It was a wild ride, and here we highlight some of our best shows from the past twelve months and the technology milestones that made 2014 a banner year in high performance computing. And did I mention we have a few laughs along the way?
The requirement for both application scaling (capability computing) and system throughput (capacity computing) continues to grow. The “THUMS” human body model has 1.8 million elements, and safety simulations of over 50 million elements are on the roadmap. Models of this size will require scaling to thousands of cores just to maintain the current turnaround time. [Read More…]
“Creating more energy-efficient HPC is a continuous improvement process that requires the right tools for measuring, taking action, checking the results and iterating in a virtuous cycle. This is true for the infrastructure as well as all levels of the system; from components through applications. We haven’t had to think about energy efficiency, nor have we had the tools to measure it. Once the right tools are in place, we can start wrapping our heads around what are the contributing factors to better efficiency, and from that we can start influencing hardware designs.” [Read More…]
- Job of the Week: Software Development Engineer at AWS
- Video: William Edsall of Dow on Why HPC Matters
- Call for Workshop Submissions: ISC High Performance 2015
- How HPC Cluster Manager Integrates Allinea Performance Reports
- Indian Research Labs Speed Code Development with Allinea
- Interview: Advancing Computational Chemistry with NWChem
- Tesla K80 GPU Sets New Records on STAC-A2 Financial Benchmark
- Managing Cluster Complexity
- Seagate Prepares 55 Petabyte File System for German Climatology Department
- Austrians Monitor Flood Waters with Visual Analysis System
- How Nirvana Software Provides Sophisticated Metadata Management
- KAUST to Acquire Cray XC40
- Bright Computing Powers Aircraft Design at University of Stuttgart