At SC14, the Texas Advanced Computing Center announced that high performance computing veteran John West has been named director of Strategic Initiatives for The University of Texas at Austin.
Today the Jülich Supercomputing Centre announced that Dr. Bernd Mohr has been elected General Chair of the SC17 Supercomputing Conference. This is the first time that somebody outside the USA will chair the most important conference for high performance computing, which has been running for the last 26 years.
In this podcast, Rich, Dan, and Henry review the year in HPC. It was a wild ride, and here we highlight some of our best shows from the past twelve months and the technology milestones that made 2014 a banner year in high performance computing. And did I mention we have a few laughs along the way?
David Beer writes that the NFL plans to equip players on the field with radio-frequency identification (RFID) tags that will provide a flood of data for tracking and simulation. “HPC is also well suited to handle the different use cases that will arise from the different kinds of data analysis that people will want to run. For example, some people may well want to develop a simulation complete with graphics to represent what happened and to show different wrinkles on how the play might be run.” [Read More…]
“A complete examination requires looking at everything from interfaces to archive formats. No matter what anyone tells you, there is data that does not need to be on primary storage, and with the exponential growth of data, some of which might not be used for years, there is a need for archiving data—and for making sure that you’ll be able to access it and use it long after formats and interfaces have changed.” [Read More…]
- Job of the Week: Software Development Engineer at AWS
- Video: William Edsall of Dow on Why HPC Matters
- Call for Workshop Submissions: ISC High Performance 2015
- How HPC Cluster Manager Integrates Allinea Performance Reports
- Indian Research Labs Speed Code Development with Allinea
- Interview: Advancing Computational Chemistry with NWChem
- Tesla K80 GPU Sets New Records on STAC-A2 Financial Benchmark
- Managing Cluster Complexity
- Seagate Prepares 55 Petabyte File System for German Climatology Department
- Austrians Monitor Flood Waters with Visual Analysis System
- How Nirvana Software Provides Sophisticated Metadata Management
- KAUST to Acquire Cray XC40
- Bright Computing Powers Aircraft Design at University of Stuttgart